- In July 2010, we reported on Jimmy Williams' legal victory over the University of Minnesota and basketball coach Tubby Smith regarding the withdrawal of an alleged job offer. (See "U of M 'Grouses' over verdict for spurned basketball coach" on page 1.) Last month, Smith and the university staged a dramatic comeback and won their appeal...
- In mid-August, the Connecticut Appellate Court released a decision that is helpful to employers on two points. First, it clarifies that there is no claim under state law for discrimination based on a perceived, rather than an actual, disability. Second, the decision assures employers that employees remain at will even if they improve enough to be...
- On November 4, the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland dismissed an ex-employee's claims of deceit and fraudulent and negligent misrepresentation against her former employer. In reaching its conclusion, the court reviewed the current state of Maryland law regarding similar claims that occur all too frequently in the...
- Aetna Health Inc. filed claims in state superior court against Dr. Deepak Srinivasan for insurance fraud under the New Jersey Insurance Fraud Prevention Act, common-law fraud, negligent misrepresentation, tortious (wrongful) interference, and violations of the New Jersey Board of Medical Examiners Regulations. The company alleged...
- The Alaska Supreme Court recently decided a case that imposed liability on an employer because it negligently relied on a trust fund maintained by a union for its employees. This case serves as a cautionary tale for employers that decide to take a "hands off" approach to employee benefit matters. Facts Janssen...
In the Blogs
- What Supreme Court’s split decision on immigration reform means for employers
- Company not liable for employees’ snarky Facebook posts about customer
- Learning from Orlando: addressing potentially violent employees
- Don’t let an unhappy employee bring down your workforce
- Need workers? First lady touts talents of veterans and military spouses