Unread 04-24-2001, 11:18 AM
KHS

Default Keeping records for exempt employees vacation time

Does anyone have a good policy/process in place for keeping track of exempt employees vacation/personal time taken? We have a TIME OFF REQUEST form that is supposed to be completed and turned into payroll when time off is taken but ensuring that this is done and that we have accurate records is becoming a full time job!

It is a "front and center" issue right now since we are at the beginning of the year and are trying to accurately determine rollover amounts. Any suggestions?

Unread 04-24-2001, 11:20 AM
Sherry

Default RE: Keeping records for exempt employees vacation time

We require that all employees who will be out of the office for 2+ hours must fill out and "Out of Office" form and give it to the receptionist, so that she knows who is here and who is not here for telephone purposes. She then turns them in at the end of the day to HR. If the employee is out for personal reason more than 4 hours a Personnel Action form is submitted for PTO time. Works for us. And Manages like it.

Unread 04-24-2001, 11:22 AM
cg

We're a small company but I also found
that my keeping track of people's time
according to their written requests was
not efficient. A simple method we just
instituted - distribute a monthly calendar
with a key that represents the types of
time off, ie O on site V vacation, etc.
You collect them periodically but you
can give people a little extra incentive
if you tie the calendar return to payday
and/or the distribution of their payroll
checks.

Unread 04-24-2001, 11:23 AM
Margaret Morford

Be careful in keeping track of exempt employees time, that you are not allowing them to take paid time off, sick time, vacation, etc. in less than full day increments. Otherwise, you lose the "exempt" status for these employees and owe them time and half for any hours worked in excess of 40 hours. Very expensive policy mistake!

If you have any questions about the loss of the exemption, call me at 615-371-8200 and I'll go over it with you.

Unread 04-24-2001, 11:25 AM
dhnyct

Each exempt employee is responsible for tracking their own time off. Trouble is not everyone uses the same standard, and upper management is reluctant to support my proposal for a consistent plan.

How do you account for those who arbitrarily take a day off now and then just because "I've put in a lot of hours lately"?

And then how am I to determine when someone has exhausted available leave in situations of FMLA, STD, etc.???

Unread 04-25-2001, 08:53 AM
dhnyct

HELP...I really need to know how others deal with these issues!!!

Unread 04-25-2001, 09:15 AM
WO

You do need a consistent policy. If you are a private employer a good guideline is to use leave banks for absences of a full day or more.

We are a public employer and require use of leave banks for absences less than a day, with an understanding that if they are here for the greater part of the day leave is not necessary.

I realize there are recent court decisions for a private employer which may require that I change our policy to docking leave banks only for absences of a day or greater. I'm struggling with making this change due to public accountability.

Any other public employers out there with suggestions?

Unread 07-06-2001, 02:47 AM
Granhel

We have a process whereby the exempt employee signs a payroll sheet at the end of the pay period indicating how many days worked and the "Time off request" is matched to the payroll sheet (sheet is for all employees - small company). The accountant makes sure that the employee's signature is on the payroll sheet before releasing the person's check (good auditing practices).
However, if the person does not work a day and does not request the vacation or sick time off in advance, or indicate they were off on the payroll sheet, we really do not know about it. If you have a dishonest employee, oh well? I don't have a good resolution for that. I believe that given enough rope, a dishonest person will eventually hang themself.
Unread 07-06-2001, 06:29 AM
franfields

We have a time off policy which does not distinguish between sick and vacation. Each employee is given a bank in the beginning of the year from which to draw. If the employee plans the time, they submit a request for time off. If the absence is unexpected, they email HR. It is also recorded on timesheets (# of hours worked on a given project or client) since we are in a billable hour business and we can reconcile against that if they note a block of time as personal time off. Our policy states that we will track in half day increments against their bank and the employees sign off on that.

We still find there are folks who don't own up to haven taken time off and that is a problem, especially in the exempt ranks since we do not enforce hours of operation, although we make it clear what our office hours are.
Unread 07-13-2001, 07:35 AM
no1son

Our Time Recording Policy states: Salaried (Exempt) - This classification consists of supervisors, managers and professionals. These persons are considered to be key to the operation and management of the Company. Their work is directly related to management policies and the general business operations of the Company and our customers. They must exercise discretion and independent judgment in the performance of their positions. ATTENDANCE REPORT SLIPS denoting VACATION TIME will be submitted to the H. R. Department on a weekly basis by the department manager. All other absences, late arrivals, or time away from the premises (including lunch periods) must be reported immediately to the Receptionist.

Note: Since our Receptionist area reports to the H. R. Department, those records are compared to the Attendance Report Slips submitted by the managers. If there are discrepancies, they are cleared up. And if there appear to be areas of concern, those are also brought to the attention of the manager for addressing. Also, our AUDITORS require reports on accumulated, accrued and used paid time off. Thus, the managers are made aware that their reports are used as important documentation for other purposes required by the Company.