Unread 08-14-2008, 05:19 AM
Wildsporty

Default Tattoo and Body Piercing Policy

After 25 years I fineally have to address the issue of Tattoo's and body piercings.

Do most of you have a separate policy or is it added in to the dress code policy? I am trying to figure out whether to write a separate policy or to revise the dress code policy.

Does anyone happen to have a sample policy I could look at to get some ideas?

I have an employee that has numerous tattoo's in my shipping department and he wants more and is asking about piercings. I have nothing in my handbook. I need to get something written before it becomes out of control.

I have some ladies with small ones on their ankles and shoulders. I would like to say in an inconspicuous area of the body and reduce piercings to the ears only.

I am not of this generation and I don't want to step on anyone's rights, but we are a small health food company and we are selling healthy wholesome products. Most of our customers are older and tattoos and piercings would be offensive to them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shirley
Unread 08-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Skoshi

Default RE: Tattoo and Body Piercing Policy

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-14-08 AT 11:38AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We had to address the piercing issue when one of our younger tellers got her nose pierced (in a Bank, in the South!). This is the policy that came from that situation. I deleted some parts for this posting.

705 PERSONAL APPEARANCE

It is the policy of the Bank to present a professional image to the customers we serve. Because every employee may at one time or another come in contact with our customers, it is important for all staff members to be dressed appropriately at the office every day. The way you dress also has an influence on how you are judged in the workplace; so dress for success.

In addition to proper dress, employees are expected to present a clean, neat and business-like appearance. For example, employees are expected to have neatly combed hair and male employees need to be clean shaven or to have neatly trimmed moustaches and/or beards. All employees are prohibited from wearing extreme or eccentric hairstyles, clothing or jewelry that does not present a professional appearance.

Reasonable accommodations will be made for employees’ religious beliefs consistent with business necessity to present a conservative, professional appearance to our customers.

Managers are responsible for enforcing the dress and grooming codes within their areas of responsibility. This includes counseling employees who are inappropriately dressed. If an employee dresses inappropriately, he or she may be sent home without pay to change clothes. Repeated disregard for the dress policy may result in disciplinary action up to and including discharge.

If you have a question about whether something is appropriate or inappropriate please check with your manager.

Unread 08-14-2008, 06:01 AM
Wildsporty

Thanks it is nice to know I am not the only person having to deal with this problem. I do have a dress code that is familiar to what you have, but I am thinking it needs to specify the tattoo and piercing issue.

I talked with the supervisor and he said he looked in the handbook and didn't find anything on tattoos or body piercings.

So I am thinking it has to be more specific.

Shirley
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:30 AM
Skoshi

We covered the piercings issue with the "jewelry" statement. Not much need to address the tattoo issue here - yet...
Unread 08-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Paul in Cannon Beach

Shirley, we just recently revised our policy on tattoos and piercings as part of a larger dress code discussion.
Unread 08-14-2008, 08:13 AM
cnghr

We haven't addressed the tattoo issue with a written policy yet, although individual department heads usually make it clear to their employees that they do not want any tattoos to be visible when at work. Here is how we address piercings:

"Facial jewelry, such as eyebrow rings, nose rings, lip rings, and tongue studs, is not professionally appropriate and must not be worn during business hours. Torso body piercings with visible jewelry or jewelry that can be seen through or under clothing must not be worn during business hours."

So far the biggest problem we've had is with the people who have tongue studs; they often tend to forget to take them out during work hours and we have to remind them.

Unread 08-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Dutch2

We are a very conservative bank and our dress code concering these matters is very similar: "Dress, appearance and personal grooming/hygiene should not be offensive to customers or other employees. Freshly scrubbed wins out over heavily fragranced any day of the week. Body piercing jewelry will only be worn on the earlobe. No other areas of the body should be visible with body piercing jewelry. Tattoos should not be visible."
So far so good...

Unread 08-14-2008, 09:43 AM
jia

We currently do not have a problem with this at our Company but our policy review committee decided to be proactive and address this before we do have an issue. We felt we not only had to address body piercing and body art (tattoos) but also exposure of skin that is inappropriate. Following is a section of our Personal Appearance/Dress Code policy that addresses some of the issues you mentioned.

Listed below are additional dress code guidelines required of all employees:

 Employees are expected to present a neat appearance and are not permitted to wear ripped or disheveled clothing.

 Garments worn by any Company employee shall cover the body to avoid distasteful or suggestive exposure of skin and undergarments.

 Clothing, to include jewelry and hair, should not be loose or dangle in such a way that it creates a safety hazard.

 Rings and wrist watches should not be worn by employees that work in areas where they would be a safety hazard.

 Body piercing and body art in the form of tattoos and other skin pigment alterations is a personal choice. However, management reserves the right to ask an employee to remove or cover anything that is deemed to be inappropriate for viewing by customers and other employees.

 Earrings should be tasteful and appropriate for all business and professional attire.

 Hair, including facial hair, should be clean and neatly trimmed and conform to professional standards of style and color.

Hope this helps you out!
Unread 08-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Wildsporty

Excellent! That was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks

Shirley
Unread 08-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Paul in Cannon Beach

We actually discussed these policies at length as part of a larger dress code revision. After checking with other "hospitality industry" companies as well as with other companies that hire alot of 18-24 year olds (Starbucks, Target,etc) we eventually loosened up our policy to allow men to wear earrings and women to wear small noserings.

Here is our policy:

11.6. PIERCINGS: Men may wear one small hoop (1/2 inch or smaller in diameter) or stud (1/4th inch or smaller in diameter) earring per ear. Women may wear one small (1/8th inch or smaller in diameter) nose piercing or “Monroe” style piercing and up to two matched or complimentary earrings per ear. No other visible piercings (lip, tongue, eyebrow, etc) are permitted. Staff with a recent piercing may wear a discrete clear plastic spacer during the healing period. (Note: additional restrictions may be added by the department manager in order to maintain an appropriate level of appearance or professionalism.)

11.7. TATTOOS: While on CBCC premises or while working, tattoos that could be offensive, disturbing, or distracting to our guests should be covered and non-conspicuous. (Note: additional restrictions may be added by the department manager in order to maintain an appropriate level of appearance or professionalism.)