Unread 09-13-2007, 07:35 AM
NaeNae55

Default Do you do it before or after?

A relative of mine recently moved to a new area and is actively seeking employment. I have been surprised by the number of HR people who tell her that in the final phases they will do a background check and then offer her the job once she passes. I thought at first she was misunderstanding them, but she paid closer attention and told me that they do the check and then the offer. She even asked one why they did it that way and was told that if the person didn't pass there was no reason to offer the job.

We always offer the job contingent on the background check. The check is completed before they start work, but we always do it after the applicant accepts our offer.

Am I alone here? What do you guys do?

Nae
Unread 09-13-2007, 08:03 AM
NeedCoffee

Default RE: Do you do it before or after?

We do both, just depends on the situation.
Unread 09-13-2007, 08:05 AM
Dutch2

Nae: we follow the same procdure that you do. That being said, I just hear some of our supervisors telling an applicant they must first pass the background check.
Unread 09-13-2007, 09:10 AM
joannie

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-13-07 AT 03:10PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I do initial interview, then do background checks. If after background checks, applicant meets our requirements, I send to manager for final interview. If Manager makes job offer, it is contingent on applicant passing pre-employment physical and drug screen. That way managers are not spinning their wheels interviewing unqualified people and I don't have to deal with, "but (Name your Manager) told me he'd hire me".
Unread 09-13-2007, 09:17 AM
plynnl

We narrow down field to first and second choice and do background checks. If the first choice passes, we make job offer.
Unread 09-13-2007, 11:20 AM
HRQ

We offer the job, contingent on negative drug test results, favorable reference checks, etc.

I would guess people are just not wording it right. Actually, your post prompted me to add this topic to the next manager training. I am not positive WHAT they are saying out there. :-S
Unread 09-13-2007, 11:47 AM
marc

We do it after and it generally takes 60 days to get the information. The EE works for us with continued employment contingent on the results.

That is something we have accepte because we get the checks done for a very, very low cost. As a non-profit, that is a trade-off we have made. So far, the few hits we have had have been minor in nature and not a reason to discontinue employment. Also, the EEs have disclosed their history before hand, so the info was not a surprise.
Unread 09-14-2007, 01:06 AM
njjel

We do previous employment checks before we make the offer lest we spin our wheels training someone who doesn't pass muster!
Unread 09-14-2007, 01:32 AM
Susan in La

We do background checks prior to making an offer. They sign a form agreeing to this when they apply. We are restricted from hiring people who have been convicted of certain crimes because we provide services to people with developmental disabilities. We can't hire them and then get the background check back 60 days later.
Unread 09-14-2007, 03:04 AM
DavidS

We conduct background checks after making a conditional offer of employment. The risk in conducting the background check prior to making an offer is that if you end up not hiring the applicant, he/she may claim that you based the decision on something not work-related that you discovered during the background check. By making the conditional offer first, we are committing to hire the applicant unless the background check reveals disqualifying information. It does place the burden on us to ensure that disqualifying information is truly work-related; but it provides the applicant some protections.