Unread 04-27-2004, 06:55 AM
mushroomHR

Default other protected veteran

Could someome give me a definition of what an "other protected veteran" is. In our AAP we refer to "disabled, disabled veterans and other protected veterans". I'm not quite sure what an other protected veteran is and can't find a good definition. Thanks.
Unread 04-27-2004, 06:57 AM
Don D

Default RE: other protected veteran

I think its vets of the vietnam era. I could be wrong.
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:04 AM
Parabeagle

Don's right. I think it's called the Vietnam Era Veterans Rehabilitation and Readjustment Act of 1974(?). I believe it requires affected employers to take affirmative action to employ veterans of the Vietnam era (not just those who served in the AOR). Haven't worked for an employer with an AAP in ages, so I may be a little rusty.
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:43 AM
mushroomHR

The AAP verbage was changed from "Vietnam era veterans" to "other protected veterans" so it must include more than just Vietnam era veterans. I'd like to know who the other protected veterans are.
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:48 AM
HR in CA

Here is the definition I have:

Defined as veterans who served on active duty in the U.S. Military, ground, naval or air service during a war or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized, other than special disabled veterans or veterans of the Vietnam era. To identify the campaigns or expeditions that meet this criterion, contact the Office of Personnel Management (OPM)then it lists a number that is no longer in service.
Unread 04-27-2004, 07:54 AM
Don D

The law used to refer to them as 'recently separated veterans. I just called OFCCP and was told by a compliance officer that the law has recently been updated to include all of those who are veterans of campaigns since vietnam, such as Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Iraq, Afghan, and I'm sure of how many others she rattled off, Grenada I think.
Unread 04-27-2004, 08:54 AM
mushroomHR

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-27-04 AT 01:56PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thanks everyone. These must be the same veterans who are counted on the VETS 100 report we must complete each year.