Unread 08-21-2003, 02:53 AM
Richard S

Default Refusal to sign written warnings

Question that has bothered me for a long time is what to do with employees that refuse to sign a written warning, even if it means that they are only acknowledging that they recieved it or read it. I know my personal thoughts, but I would like to know how others handle that and does it require a seperate written policy. There is no pressing problem here, just curious.
Unread 08-21-2003, 02:57 AM
clarkbar

Default RE: Refusal to sign written warnings

We don't have a written policy about this. The supervisor merely indicates on the warning that the employee refused to sign. The supervisor then signs and dates the warning. I was told in a seminar once that if the employee refuses to sign, ask them to write on the warning: "I refuse to sign this warning." Then ask them to sign and date that they refused to sign. That's one way of getting their signature. x}>
Unread 08-21-2003, 02:58 AM
POPEYE

We ask our supervisors/managers to document on the original warning that the EE read the warning but refused to sign. We also require that another supervisor or member of Mgmt be a witness and sign the refusal statement.
Unread 08-21-2003, 02:58 AM
Crout

It's essentially meaningless whether they sign the discipline or not. We simply have the supervisor document that the EE was given the discipline and refused to sign, which is also signed by all witnesses. We do not have a policy that compels the EE to sign.
Unread 08-21-2003, 03:04 AM
blj3837

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-21-03 AT 09:04AM (CST)[/font][p]We would note on the warning that employee refused to sign and try to get the employee to sign that. I know there are others who would treat this as insubordination and would terminate if they don't sign. I guess it all depends on your company culture, and probably your state law as far as how the courts view that kind of action.
Unread 08-21-2003, 03:35 AM
Don D

Agree with most but don't think we can compel one to sign anything and don't think we can successfully terminate as insubordinate if they do not sign. Agree that signature is virtually meaningless other than to certify receipt. Many union employees will not even sign acknowledgement of having received a copy of a policy. So be it. Get other signers to certify delivery and move on.
Unread 08-21-2003, 03:39 AM
blj3837

Don D,
I have heard from some of my peers that the reason they consider it insubordination is because an employee, by refusing to sign, is refusing to honor the terms of the warning. They have had legal support for doing so. In fact, some indicate they will terminate for insubordination if an employee refuses to sign the employee handbook notice. I guess that practice fits their culture. I would never do so here, agreeing with you that in the long run it doesn't matter and why set that kind of precedence. But it is interesting to learn about such diverse practices and views concerning HR topics.
Unread 08-21-2003, 03:54 AM
Parabeagle

Our employee warning form includes the language above the signature line that the employee's refusal to sign in no way excuses them their obligation to abide by the terms of corrective action outlined in the warning, so they're on notice that they have to comply with the warning regardless. Then the supervisor just writes "employee refused to sign."
Unread 08-21-2003, 03:57 AM
Balloonman

I always get a chuckle when someone refuses to sign a warning. However if during new hire orientation some refused to sign that they have received the employee handbook, I think I would strongly consider ending the employment relationship right then and there. I think that tells you they are going to be a high maintainence problematic employee. Same if they do not want to provide a ssn.
I can see though how someone disagreeing with discipline would think that not signing would actually mean something.
My $0.02 worth.
DJ The Balloonman
Unread 08-21-2003, 04:33 AM
Leslie

We just have the supervisor note that the employee refused to sign. However if they disagree their failure to sign negates any further action. Per Policy:

"Employees are requested to agree/disagree, comment if desired, and sign the warning notice...The warning notice will be forwarded to human resources where those marked disagree will be researched. If the employee refuses to sign, the warning notice will go forward with such note and no further consideration will be given."

I've got a million of 'em...