Unread 05-01-2003, 03:49 AM

Default Time Sheets for Exempt Employees

Is there a legal requirement as to how exempt employees show actual hours worked on their time sheet? i.e., if they work only 5 hours one day, do they show as 5 hours on the time sheet -or- do they show 8 since they will be paid for the entire day).

NOTE: We are located in the state of Ohio.

THANK YOU!
Unread 05-01-2003, 04:08 AM
Pork

Default RE: Time Sheets for Exempt Employees

942831: Welcome to our world of free flowing information! Time keeping for EXEMPT employees are not required at all and you are encouraged to stay away from the practice of time keeping of EXEMPTS for your company could loose their EXEMPT status for those that you do have time sheets available for audit and review!!!

Now: that being said, I do require "time keeping" for a certain set of managers in remote locations, so that, we can legally validate the presence of the manager during times or events, alarms, adverse actions or conditions at the remote site, proof that the manager as the senior leader in the work site who is called upon to witness or give written testimony. We use the manual time clock and collect the cards for record keeping; but we do not use the time cards for calculation of compensation. The remote location manager uses the time cards to collect time worked by all employees. T hey transmit time worked on all employees by fax. Pork
Unread 05-01-2003, 04:19 AM
POPEYE

I agree with Pork. Stay away from recording time if possible. If there are safety or security concerns and you feel documentation is necessary, I would suggest that these time sheets or cards be kept separate from payroll records with a disclaimer letter stating the reason(s) for them. This will lessen the perception of "keeping time" on the exempts.
Unread 05-01-2003, 05:10 AM
RoseF

While we use a computer time clock program for calculating pay for non exempts and managing their attendance and time off issues; we only ask exempts to turn in a calendar with days worked checked (no matter how many hours were worked that day) and holidays, sick days, vacation days marked as such. We keep these calendars for attendance (days; not hours, worked) and time off records only, NOT for calculating pay.
Unread 05-01-2003, 05:25 AM
deez

I am having an issue with tracking exempts hours as well. We are moving to a computer time keeping system on Sunday. The Finance Mgr wants the exempts to punch in and out like non- exempts. He insisted that it was not to track hours but to document days worked. I suggested that they punch in and then immediately punch out. Of course my first suggestion was not to do it at all.
Currently we have exempts signing time sheets with actual hours worked which I learned was a no no when I was first put in charge of HR. Long standing system that previous HR Mgr went along with so I thought it OK.
Am I suggesting the right thing?
Unread 05-01-2003, 05:33 AM
Rockie

deez: Punching a clock will be no different than tracking hours manually. Number of hours is still going to be tracked regardless. It doesn't matter what your finance person "insists" is the reason. When the DOL comes knocking in response to a complaint from an exempt employee that they were "required" to punch a clock, the DOL won't buy his explanation. If an exempt person is absent, I would assume that you have a time off form they have to complete to get permission for a day off. I would use this system to track days off rather than a time clock. Unless you have a major problem with exempt level people not being "on the job" when they are supposed to be, I would not buy myself this trouble.
Unread 05-01-2003, 06:19 AM
ray a

We require exempts as well as nonexempts to punch a time clock. The nonexempt employees turn in a daily time sheet,exempt employees turn in a weekly time sheet that shows hours worked plus any paid time off. The reason we do this is because we pay exempt employees straight time for hours worked in excess of 44 per week. By having them punch the clock we have an accurate accounting of additional time they worked and can pay them correctly and fairly. The weekly time sheet also ensures their time is charged to the right accounting codes.
Unread 05-01-2003, 08:11 AM
Don D

Don't let fear of the DOL Wage and Hour/FLSA boogie-man keep you from keeping time on your exempts. There are many valid reasons to do so. The company I just left required an elaborate form from every exempt be turned in every two weeks. It allowed us to do several things: Track FMLA absence more accurately, Validate and audit vacation and sick leave with HR and Accounting reviewing each form, and allowed us to track and pay exempts who were eligible for what we called bonus pay for having worked weekends and covering the supervision of multiple or split shifts...each of which is perfectly legal.

A department head and VP were required to sign off on each form and this enabled them as well to accurately check their record of vacation and sick as well as FMLA.

We had several audits and the process, once explained, was never criticized. All that is required is an HR manager who can recite to the auditor why it is done. Piece of cake. You will not lose exempt status if your rationale serves a legitimate company purpose and you can recite it. It's not a matter of convincing a government employee that you ought to be able to track exempt time. On the other hand, if you use any system of tracking time to dock exempts, that's where your problem will surface in an audit.

Although disclaimers are fine, HR doesn't have enough reams of paper to type out disclaimers and explanations of why we do everything we do. When the first investigator asked me "Why do you track time this way?" my question to her was, "Can you tell me some reasons why we should not?" That put the ball in her court and she went down her short list, primarily the subject of docking time. I countered with our reasons and she went on to other business.
Unread 05-02-2003, 12:11 AM
hrinmi

We have Exempt Employees log their time every two weeks in a system called Maximo. They have to enter their beginning and end time and then if they are charging any of that time against Projects and such. We have to put a code of what we did for every hour of the day so they can report back to big wigs about where time is being spent. It's very time consuming and it's the first company I've worked for where you needed a code to charge back against b/c it takes so long to enter your time.

Every other company I've worked for, you just had a blanket 40 hr entry and the only thing that would change was if you had vacation or a sick day.
Unread 05-02-2003, 01:14 AM
Don D

Don't you just love these systems where you're forced to satisfy the accountants as to how you spend each minute of the day? Surely there is a special code that's used for 'time sheet preparation'. When I worked for the state, I can recall having a 16 inch long form that we filled out several times daily and transmitted to the state office every two weeks. It had probably 60 lines and 45 columns, some 2400 reporting cells. Each employee had at least 30 codes he/she had to charge time to in a day. If done accurately, it would take probably an hour daily to post. But, the funding of programs was the objective and the only way to establish funding was to show staff time being spent in the programs. Same with private industry, to a lesser degree.