Unread 02-27-2002, 09:50 AM
Missy

Default Who Does HR Report To?

We are looking at yet another restructure and we will probably report to the CFO from now on. I think reporting to the president makes more sense, but am curious about how it works in other organizations.
Unread 02-27-2002, 09:56 AM
Gar

Default RE: Who Does HR Report To?

I work for a local government and our HR director reports to the County Manager, our highest official.
Unread 02-27-2002, 10:11 AM
bsa

I work for a small manufacturer with 11 management staff, including only 2 officers -- so I report to the VP Finance, just because the President is more interested in sales/customers.
Unread 02-28-2002, 12:27 AM
Rockie

At our medical facility, Human Resources is considered a member of Sr. Management (same level as CFO and COO). I report to the Chief Executive Officer.
Unread 02-28-2002, 12:39 AM
MarilynR

We're a small (27 emp) design/manufacturing firm. HR is part of the administration dept, and I report directly to the CFO, who is also the manager of that dept.
Unread 02-28-2002, 01:47 AM
jbnunzio

We are a large non profit credit union and I report to the CFO who sits with the COO,CIO and CEO as a member of Executive Management.
Unread 02-28-2002, 01:55 AM
sonny

Like GAR we are a local government. HR reports to the Director of General Services who reports to the City Manager. I personally believe HR should report directly to the top. More neutral, less chance of conflict of interest.
Unread 02-28-2002, 02:30 AM
Janet

We are a manufacturing company of about 400 EE's. There are 2 of us in HR and we report to the VP/Controller. This is by default--the HR Manager was downsized 5 years ago, and nobody else seems to want to deal with HR.
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:04 AM
Gillian

We are a 375 employee private, non profit University. I report to the Exec. VP of Finance and Business. While there is some controversy surrounding HR reporting to the top exec. vs. someone else, I think it really depends on the influence of the HR person and the perspective of the person to whom HR reports. Sometimes there is a general dislike of HR reporting to a CFO because of the orientation to financial matters, sometimes to the detriment of HR. Reporting to the top isn't a panacea because the top person may not understand the people side of the business either. In my case, I have no problem with the reporting relationship because I am also on the Presidents Cabinet and have direct access to anyone I want to, as well as the support of the Exec. VP to whom I report.
Unread 02-28-2002, 04:13 AM
Margie

We report to the President/CEO.